Moving houses can be a big deal and we know it can be hard to remember everything you need to do when there are boxes everywhere. We’ve created this checklist of things you should do before moving.
- Pack what you want to keep & donate or discard the rest.
- Make a list of people to notify when you move e.g. Friends and Relatives.
- Organize relevant paperwork, such as a lease applications or rental forms.
Do a final glance and check of your old property to:
- Ensure nothing is left behind.
- Make a note of all the utility readings.
- Lock all doors and turn off all switches.
Complete a condition report of your new residence before you move anything inside.
- Schedule utility service connection for the day before you move in and disconnection for the day after you vacate e.g. electricity, gas, internet.
- Windows & window tracks
- Skirting Boards
- Light Fittings
- Inside of cupboards
- Kitchen Equipment
Stock up on general household essentials like:
- Cleaning supplies
- Food items like coffee, tea, tomato sauce, rice, salt and pepper
- Check if all the necessary utilities are connected.
- Buy toilet paper — how can you forget that!
- Pack a box full of things you would be needing on the first night and next day, such as bedding, cooking utensils (at least a fry pan), toiletries, bath linen, comfy clothes, snacks etc.
Within The Week
- Notify any relevant services of your change of address, such as the Department of Transport, your bank and the Post Office.
- You can pay a fixed amount and the Post Office will forward mail sent to your old address to your new address.